THINGS TO AVOID IN ACADEMIC WRITING
“TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE ACADEMIC WRITING”
“Academic writing” is an emerging platform where the writer can communicate with the readers. “Academic writing” is mainly done by research scholars to inform their readers about their research work. It includes essays, projects, proposals, dissertations, articles and reports. It involves a “formal and structured style”. “Academic writing” aims to provide an argument for or against a particular topic and draw conclusions. It enhances the reasoning, logical and critical thinking ability of the students. It also increases their confidence in writing.
To develop your academic writing skills, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Choose a good topic
- Keep in mind the purpose of your writing and your intended audience.
- Doing adequate research before writing, so that you get a clear idea about the background of the topic
- Give a clear problem statement
- Highlight the importance of the issue
- Provide evidence to prove your opinions.
- Give proper “citation” and references to the sources
- Writing should be concise and specific to the idea of the topic.
- The writer should follow proper format, grammar, punctuation, citation and referencing styles.
However, writers must avoid inevitable common mistakes to increase the chance of their paper being published in a journal.
- The writer must use a clear, concise, formal and lucid style of writing
- Information relevant to the topic must be given
- Avoid using the same word or phrase repeatedly
- Avoid using the first person
- Avoid using long and complex sentences
- Do not make inappropriate use of articles
- Grammatical errors need to be avoided
- Sentence construction should be correct. Use correct word order while constructing sentences.
- Content should be interesting to read. It should not be monotonous.
- The author must provide complete information
- Do not use sentence fragments
- Use of appropriate images, Smart Art, can make the content more presentable
- Care must be taken to use proper punctuation, vocabulary and spellings.
- Use of wrong words may convey a different meaning to the readers. So, the correct words must be used.
- Avoid using passive voice
- Do not use complicated vocabulary. Keep the writing simple.
- Use “footnotes” only when needed.
- One of the most critical “ethical issues” associated with “academic writing” is “plagiarism”. Most of the time “plagiarism” is unintentional. The researcher can avoid “plagiarism” by giving proper “citation” and acknowledgement to other authors. Proofreading and editing of the research papers can be done by using “plagiarism checker services” and various other software.
- “Bibliography” should contain accurate and complete information.
- Do not use emotional language
- Clear introduction and conclusion must be given.
Most importantly, one needs to practice a lot to develop excellent academic writing skills. The more you practice, the better you become.
By abiding the proper formats and avoiding the mistakes as mentioned earlier, one can become a “good content writer”.
DMG solution is a well- known company that caters to the needs of the students by providing them with quality assignments, projects and thesis writings. The company hires “academic content writers” who help the students in carrying out their duties efficiently. Students greatly benefit from their services.