TIPS TO AVOID PLAGIARISM
“HOW TO PROTECT YOUR WRITING FROM PLAGIARISM”
A writer or researcher has a desire to publish his or her work in a reputed journal. “Plagiarism” is a factor that needs to be considered whenever it comes to academic writing or editing a research paper.
“Plagiarism” is the act of copying someone else’s work intentionally or unintentionally, without giving them their due credit or without “citation”. It involves using someone’s original idea and claiming it to be your own. This is a form of “academic misconduct”. The various types of ‘plagiarism” that authors must be aware of are:
- “Verbatim plagiarism”- this is the act of directly copying and pasting from a published article without mentioning any proper reference.
- “Mosaic plagiarism”- this does not involve direct copying and pasting from any article. This occurs when the author inputs his or her own words into the ideas of the original author.
- “Paraphrasing”- writing someone else’s ideas and opinions in one’s own words is sometimes considered as “plagiarism”.
- “Self-plagiarism”- if a researcher attempts to republish the data that has already been published before, and then this is called “self-plagiarism”.
- “Cyber plagiarism”– the act of directly downloading or copying research papers from the internet without providing any reference.
- “Image plagiarism”- when a researcher uses specific images or videos which are not permitted to be used falls under the category of “image plagiarism”.
So, if you want to publish a paper, you should consider some tips to avoid “plagiarism”. Some steps that can be implemented to prevent “plagiarism” is:
- Before starting to write a paper, it is essential to do proper planning for your research paper.
- Plan how other sources can contribute to your research and how you can include them in your paper.
- Gather sufficient information about the work that others have already done in your chosen field of study.
- Taking notes
- Organize the information that you have gathered
- Writing an outline to check your progress.
- Always give citation to your sources. “Citing” is a potent way to avoid “plagiarism”.
- Provide proper quotations.
- During paraphrasing, change “both the words” and the “sentence structure” of the original statement. However, care must be taken not to improve the content of the paragraph.
- The paragraphs that have been paraphrased also require proper “citations”.
- Providing proper “citations” reveal that other sources support your opinions and make the research appear valid. Analysis and evaluation of the references must be done to avoid including unauthentic sources in the paper.
Proofreading and editing of the research papers can be done by using “plagiarism checker services” and various other software.
Students must be given proper instructions to refrain from” plagiarizing articles”. Students and researchers need more practice in writing research papers before attempting to publish them.
However, the problem of “plagiarism” remains an obstacle in the field of academic writing. Development of new strategies can help curb this menace.
DMG Solution provides projects, assignments and thesis writing services to students. This helps the students to excel in their academics and achieve their desired career objectives.